15 Jun WHY WE FIND THE NATURAL DYE COLOUR SO PLEASING?
Posted at 10:00h in About rugs, carpets & kilims
It is because the yarns have variation, called abrash, that creates texture and depth. The subtle changes in shade are the imperfections that give natural colours their subtle charm. If the colour is completely uniform and monochromatic, it is more likely to have been produced by modern chemistry.
These variations depend on:
- hand spun wool
- the source of the plant material
- the differences in processing
- the differences in the colour production process
- the local availability of the plants
- the climate
- the access to trade routes
- the ability to import dyestuff from different parts of the world
- the mordant used
- and many more…